Sunday, March 29, 2009

What do Redd Foxx and Kevin Garrison Have in Common?

I'm not sure, but when you combine them it's a he** of a party!

Friday night I threw (with help) a SURPRISE birthday party for Kevin at our home. It was so awesome. He was SO surprised I think he might have had a small heart attack.  There were 50+ of his nearest and dearest there. Many could not attend and we missed them terribly but we enjoyed the folks who came. 

It was not an easy endeavor for the following reasons...
1) I had to set up the entire party after Kevin left for work on Friday.  I had things hidden all over the garage and in my car. 

2)  I am a terrible liar. I don't like lying and usually people can tell. I tell Kevin everything single detail of my day so to leave out huge chunks of trips to Party City and why Harriet was coming over to fix up the house was awful!

3) I have TWO children. Two. Children. Little energy balls. Two.

4) I had to use my measly allowance. I did this so that it meant more to him and so he couldn't see the expenses and ask what they were for thereby ruining the surprise. 

5) I had to leave the house at 4:30p (2 hours b4 the party) to pick up Kevin and begin our fake birthday night. We went to dinner first b/c I knew he wouldn't have a chance to eat while talking to his friends. It turned out great though and I had tons of help. 

I'd like to thank the Academy - Sara and Joe designed the conversation-starting huggers (they were Turquoise and red and had Redd Foxx on one side, they were also the inspiration for the color scheme), Sara also helped set up the party and keep the food flowing. "Stancy" gave the huggers to Kevin as his birthday gift (great, great idea!). John braved Sam's Club to get the beer, coke and ice. Mia helped me set up the party also and was joined later by Nonna to help wrangle the children. 


Kevin, blindfolded and thinking he was going to see "a show." I drove him around for 30 minutes in circles so he wouldn't know where he was.  By the way, it's a birthday thing for us to blindfold each other on the way to a secret destination... we have been doing it since we starting dating in '02. Apparently, it is weird to other people, just not to us :)


Happy Birthday Baby, I love you so much and just wanted to tell you how special you are to me and how much I appreciate all the work you do for your family!!



**Side note: Major Congrats to our good friend David Perry who got engaged last night. I am sure he or his precious fiance Leigh will kill me for posting this but I am too excited.  We could not be more thrilled for a more perfect couple and wish them all the best things in life!! 


Photobucket

No comments: