Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Night Terror?

Moseley woke up from his nap today at 2pm crying. He had just gone down at 1pm after being at school all morning. I know he was so tired and normally sleeps until 3 or 4p.

He was inconsolable for almost 30 minutes and acted very strange. Trying to hold him close (I assumed he was still sleepy and tried to rock him back to sleep) made him agitated but trying to put him down (then I thought maybe he wanted to play) upset him even more. Instead, I had to loosely hold him in my lap while he squirmed this way and that while sobbing. Then, he kind of just snapped out of it.

This is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened. Sunday, at Katie's he woke up from a nap the same way and also has done it in the past. When this happens though it is always during a daytime nap and not at night.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this a night terror? From what I have read, the low age begins at 2 or 3 and occurs at night. Is there that much variance in these kinds of things?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I was browsing through random Montgomery-ians blogs when I stumbled upon this one. We are originally from Bham (and your southside home was/is too cute, btw!) when I noticed this post about night terrors. Conner, my soon-to-be 3-yr-old also has them. His consist of half-awake moments during the night or nap when he can not be comforted, can not be held (makes it worse) and he is completely unaware of my presence or his surroundings. Over time, I've been able to tell the difference in how he appears when he starts crying whether he has just had a nightmare or if he is in the throws of a night terror. Have you had any additional recurrences since this post??
It was lovely reading about your beautiful family and expected addition!! You can "stalk me back" at atothezaremba.blogspot.com