Wednesday, September 26, 2007

When it rains, it pours

Sunday afternoon I got from my sister in law that began… “don’t freak out, but your brother’s in the hospital.” I, of course, immediately began to worry. Apparently, following a virus, Staples lost his muscle strength. It came on fast and the doctors were worried it was Guillain-barre syndrome. Nancy was terrified and needed support. We wanted to help her and be there for Staples.

My momma drove up to Montgomery in the middle of the night Sunday. Monday morning we left for Augusta, Georgia. We arrived at about 2pm eastern time to find that Staples tests came back good and he was doing much better. He was diagnosed with a post-viral fibromyalgia and was released after about 30 hours of hospitalization. Thank the Lord!



So far, so good, Staples was on his way to recovery. Because of our swift departure I didn’t have a chance to get my oil changed. I set out Tuesday morning to get it changed b/c we were going to leave that day at about 12p. On the way to get my oil changed, my car broke down and had to be towed to the Bobby Jones Ford for repairs. Assuming just a few hours in the shop would fix it, my momma and I went shopping for a new sewing bag. We get THE CALL a few hours later. Larry, from the dealership, says that the car has “jumped time” and will need a new engine. This will cost about $5,000. Seeing as the car isn’t worth that much, it is totaled and we have no means of transportation home. My sweet, precious, vehicle is being sold for mere parts as we speak…

So, again, we still need to get home so I call the car rental companies. ALL OF THEM. Easy enough except they are all either booked for the next week or don’t offer one-way rentals to Montgomery. So, we are trying to work out how exactly we are supposed to get home.

Update: Nancy is driving us to Atlanta today(2.5 hrs away) and Kevin will pick us up and take us to Montgomery (another 2.5 hrs away).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

NOOOO not your car!!!! I am so sad, I loved that car! I am glad your brother is doing better. RIP big old white car!