Monday, October 12, 2009

I just can't let go

Last week, at 10 months old, Chambers got his first real cold. For the first time he couldn't nurse b/c he couldn't breathe. The first day I pumped and fed him which was so hard. Then I decided I would work towards the end of breastfeeding. I went out and bought formula.

But I just can't stop nursing. I am too emotional about cutting off this little guy. I think it is b/c it symbolizes (for me) the start of toddlerhood.

I was nursing 5 times a day and now I am down to 2 so that is something. I am giving him formula twice a day as well as some table food. Any advice you have about the emotional part, let me know...

Photobucket

5 comments:

Jill said...

Oh I feel your heartache! I started weaning Rose just before her 6 month bday. I was worried that I wasn't producing enough because she always seemed hungry and wasn't sleeping well. It was hard for the first week or so (I cried off and on through the process!) but she learned to looove her bottles so that made me feel better. You went 10 months...that's a great accomplishment! It will get easier on your heart...I promise!

Sarah Snow said...

I'm going to call you about this- you are so totally normal- I just weaned Hunter after 1 year of breastfeeding and it was a weird emotional process with some fabulous hormones to boot. I hear you!

Tabitha said...

I totally understand. Everytime I think about weaning Ian it makes me sad. My baby is growing up so fast and I will miss that special time of sitting and cuddling him while feeding him, sigh....

Jamie said...

I still remember the heartache when Abbie stopped nursing...just remember...there is no DEADLINE on when the right time to stop is...do what you feel is right! Sad to say though it will hurt whenever you decide that time will be... :( (HUGS)

Jessica said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments!

I am still nursing 2-3 times a day which is enough to make me feel better but not too restricting. I am now supplementing with a little formula, too.